Oxford Purse (+video)
$5.95 – $7.95
An easy to sew lightweight shoulder purse that closes with a magnetic snap. A single slip pocket on the lining. Darts give shape and volume. Video tutorial available.
The Oxford Purse is a great everyday shoulder bag that even a sewing beginner can easily sew. It’s lightweight, doesn’t need any difficult to find materials or hardware, and is just the right size. She’ll easily carry your wallet, phone, keys and more but her lightweight design means you won’t be weighed down.
Check out a preview of the Oxford in this video
Features of the Oxford Purse pattern:
- darts front and back to give shape and volume
- a curved flap that closes with a magnetic snap
- a fixed-length strap – choose your own length for a bag that fits on your shoulder, sits at the waist or the hip, or you can carry crossbody
- an easy to sew design with only three simple pattern pieces needed – the body of the bag, the flap and the pocket
- and easy to print and assemble pattern
- step by step photo instructions
- an optional full-length sew-along video tutorial
Skill level: Suitable for beginners. The photo step by step instructions are supported by additional articles on the blog if you need further explanation such as for sewing darts or installing the magnetic snap. The full video sew-along is ideal for beginners or visual learners.
This pattern comes in two variations:
1 – written pattern only. Includes cutting chart, full written step by step instructions with photos.
2 – written pattern as above PLUS the full step by step sew-along video tutorial which is perfect for beginners.
Sewing video tutorial available
The sewing video is perfect for beginners and those who prefer a visual explanation. I take it slowly and go through everything that you would need to know. I assume that you are already competent with the basics of sewing, using a pattern and cutting fabric, but everything in the sewing and construction is covered in detail so you won’t put a stitch wrong and will get the perfect result for your Oxford Purse pattern.
Skills covered in the video:
The full-length 1 hour 20 minutes video covers each step of sewing the bag from start to finish including lots of tips for:
- how to print and assemble the pattern and use it to cut your fabric
- how to sew and press the darts
- how to reduce the bulk in seams by nesting darts
- how to install the magnetic snap
- tips for topstitching around curves so your flap will look fabulous
DOWNLOAD ONLY – please note this is a digital sewing pattern that must be downloaded from the site and printed at home. No paper pattern will be mailed to you. Download immediately after purchase.
|Type of instructions||
Pattern and video, Pattern only
1 review for Oxford Purse (+video)
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Roy Canty (verified owner) –
I am a beginner, having begun sewing a little over a month ago. I was able to sew and complete the bag with few issues, although I had to watch a few videos twice, just to ensure that I did everything well and to a high standard. Deby ‘s video + PDF make it easy to check each step, and if you take your time and try to think ahead, you will be rewarded with an
excellent bag. You also need to really learn to control and shape the fabric as you are sewing, and not let it control you. Recommended for all skill levels.